The following are links to various SP&S information on the web, both on and off the SP&SHS site.
These are housed at the Pacific Northwest Rail Archives (PNRA) at Burien, Washington
- Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railway Historical Society Archives
- Other Railroad archives related to the SP&S at PNRA
- Caboose Diagrams – S.P. & S.RY., book by Paul T. Hobbs (PDF file – 29mb)
- Freight Equipment – Motive Power Dept. – Spokane, Portland & Seattle Ry, diagram book compiled by Paul T. Hobbs (PDF file – 85mb)
- Locomotive Diagrams – S.P. & S.RY., book by Paul T. Hobbs (PDF file – 66mb)
- Passenger Car Diagrams – S.P. & S.RY., book by Paul T. Hobbs (PDF file – 79mb)
- Paint Schemes A basic resource for equipment schemes. Use with caution since paint colors are one of the biggest sources of continuing discussions.
- Survivors An attempt to list all the surviving SP&S equipment. A work in progress.
- Roster: Diesel
- Roster: Steam
- Model News Information about currently available models. Updated as I receive information. Plans are in the works to put together a page for all models done but still just a plan.
- N Scale SP&S models – compiled by Carl Grimmer and John Moore
- SP&S Modeling Notes: Reference chart for modeling SP&S motive power and freight/passenger equipment, showing manufacturer name for each equipment type (Allen Rueter).
- Index to “The Northwest’s Own Railway” articles. By Allen Rueter
- Books and Articles about the SP&S Railway that have been printed. Feel free to submit items I don’t have listed.
- Index of SP&S Articles in Magazines, compiled by Paul T. Hobbs
- SP&S Special Instruction 16 June 1, 1967. Rob Jacox was kind enough to put this together.
- System Map
- Railroad Employee Timetable Collections:
- Yard Maps: Vancouver, pages 94 and 95 of 165; Pasco pages 92 and 93 of 165.
Museums & Historical Societies
- SP&S Museum: Photos from Troyce Brooks’ visit to the SP&S Museum in Vancouver, WA.
- SP&S 700: Website for the SP&S 700 and the Pacific Railroad Preservation Association.
- SP&S Web Museum: Online museum dedicated to preserve the memory and heritage of the SP&S RY. (Robert R. Brown).
- ALCos of the Pilbara Historical Society: Photos of ex-SP&S S2 #21, now located in Australia.
- The Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center has a SP&S Caboose plus a F9 that will be painted in SP&S colors. Exhibits
- Inland Northwest Rail Museum, Home to the SP&S Sleeper-Lounge “Mount St. Helens”
- Chehalis Centralia Railroad and Museum, Home to the SP&S Business Car 99
- Northwest Railway Museum, Home to several SP&S Passenger, Freight, Work cars
Photos, Stories & Misc.
- Art Putnam’s SP&S page: This site has steam and diesel rosters, a list of paint schemes, photos, and items for trade.
- SP&S Matchbooks: Collection of SP&S matchbooks, as well as other railroads.
- SP&S 700: Information on the SP&S 700 (James Spears).
- Fallen Flag and Shortline Railroad Photos: Photos of SP&S locomotives and freight equipment (George Elwood).
- Burlington Northern Santa Fe: Corporate page.
- Great Northern Railway: Original owner of the OGRE (Orange Green Railway Engine) paint scheme (Lindsay Korst).
- AlcoHauler homepage: Alco diesels and other rail-related materials.
- Columbia County Logging History on several logging lines that were served by the SP&S.
- Ft Wright Tower A short description of Ft Wright Tower by former operator C.F. Dayley
- Ken Prager: Railroad stories by Ken Prager, #700 engineer.
- Port of Portland vs. US, 408 US 811 (1972): 1971 Supreme Court case over the ICC’s decision that the adverse effects on SP&S and UP of the proposed four-railroad ownership of Peninsula and accompanying trackage rights would outweigh the advantages to SP, Milwaukee, and the Rivergate industries.